Thursday, January 14, 2016

5 Daily Habits To Help Your Day Start Off Right!


I'm always trying to listen and watch to see how other women and mom's do things.  When I see someone succeeding in an area, I'm all ears.  Whether it's keeping up on house work, making meals, organizing, etc.  I don't believe that any of us are perfect, and I don't believe that any of us have it all mastered.  I know, I certainly don't. 

I don't have any monumental habits, but these are 5 that I've made into a routine over the years, and they help me start my day off right. 

My daily habits:

1.  I run my dishwasher every night.  If I forget just one night, I feel so behind the next morning.  Running my dishwasher at night, allows all my dishes to be washed and ready to unload in the morning, making room for all the dirty dishes to go straight into it.


2.  I make sure my coffee pot timer is set for morning.  I love waking up in the morning, knowing that my coffee is waiting for me.  Yes, I could wait and do this in the morning, but then it's just one extra thing do do when I'm still groggy from sleep.


3.  I like to start a load of laundry first thing in the morning.  I instantly feel on top of my game, if I know the laundry is going right away.  It may take me a little bit to wake up, but at least things are getting done.


4.  I make my bed.  Why does a bed all made up, instantly make the house feel more put together? 


5.  I fill up my water bottle.  This is definitely not monumental, but I think it's important.  It holds 32oz of water, and I try to drink 3 of them a day.  If I don't start first thing in the morning, it's a lot harder to get in all 3.  Plus, drinking a bit of water before I drink coffee, seems to help me feel not so jittery.  This water bottle is the one that I use and love.  I also have this one for when I'm traveling as it's slim enough to fit into my cup holder, and it also holds 32oz.  You can get them off Amazon, but I've also found them at Walmart.

Habits that I'm working on forming:

A couple of habits that I'd like to work on, would be checking my kid's rooms at night when I tuck them in.  I need to take a couple extra minutes and make sure that they are putting their stuff where it goes and that they're keeping their rooms clean.  I am so over, walking into their rooms and being appalled at how messy their rooms have become.  So daily inspections at bedtime need to quickly become a new routine in this house.

I need to make sure that I do my devotions daily, even if I'm not in the middle of a bible study.  I feel so structured when I'm in a study and as soon as I'm done, I feel a bit lost again.  I shouldn't be.  I think it's just from going from a very structured, laid out plan, to having the freedom to read and study what I want.  Anyone else get this?

Some days, it feels a bit challenging to get everything done in one day, so on top of all the other habit's I'm incorporating, I'm hoping to also start waking up earlier.  I get up every morning between 5:30 and 6:00.  I have a couple minutes to myself and then I wake the kids up at 6:00 to start getting ready for school.  A half an hour at the most, doesn't give me much time in the morning for myself.   I'm hoping to start training my body to get up a bit earlier each week until I'm getting up at least by 5:00.  We'll see how that goes.  No guarantees.  ;)

What are some routines, that you have, that help your day start off right?

5 comments:

  1. I need to run the dishwasher too. It doesn't happen every night as every once in awhile, it is only half or 2/3 full. But to have that taken care of means that while my bread is toasting or my Keurig is making my coffee I can empty the dishwasher or at least get a lot of it done. #ShineBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I run the dishwasher in the evening and then open it to let the dishes air dry overnight so they are ready to be put away in the morning. I also start a load of laundry most mornings.
    I have my Bible reading and prayer time first thing each morning (before I get distracted). I then consult my menu to decide what to make for dinner. I do this so if I need to set out meat to thaw or get something in the slow cooker I have time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run the dishwasher every night as well. And we used to set the coffee maker before we had a Keurig. That smell when you first wake up...yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your daily habits! When our dishwasher was working, I always ran it at night and unloaded it first thing in the morning. I also do a quick kitchen tidy-up before bed and I makes sure the front entrance is clear of clutter.

    I have a few things I do in the morning that I need to do to start the day off right too:
    1- prayer/scripture
    2- exercise (just 5-10 minutes)
    3- eat and coffee
    4- put in a load of laundry

    When I do these things, my day goes so much smoother!

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I am constantly working on spending time in the Word each morning. It's been so hard to wake up lately so I haven't. I feel like I don't even wake up for the first hour I'm actually awake :-p I get up at 6 right now but really need to be getting up at 5. Kevin is usually still in bed when I leave so I can't make the bed but when he's not, I try to make it. That makes me feel better when I come home and see it made - even if no one ever sees it.

    ReplyDelete