Monday, November 16, 2015

A Refuge At Highland Hall

Now that it's the middle of November, with the weather getting colder by the day, I'm happy to be a homebody and snuggle up under a blanket, with a hot cup of coffee.  Since I'll be all snuggled up, I obviously need a puzzle to work on or a good book to read.
http://images.randomhouse.com/cover/9781601425003?height=450&alt=no_cover_b4b.gif

I received this book in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and boy, did I want to like it. 

Unfortunately, I never could get into it.  When I decided upon this book, I saw that it was a novel, but I didn't notice however, that it said it was the third book in a series.  Within the first chapter I started having doubts about choosing this book.  I prefer when the author pulls you immediately into the story, starting in the first chapter... that wasn't the case here.  I thought this book was just starting off slow and that it would pick up.  It did pick up a bit, but not enough to hold my interest.  I made it to the 7th chapter and finally gave up.

I felt that there was very little character descriptions, such as what they looked like and their unique personalities, so it made it really hard to imagine the characters and take much interest in them. Also, there seemed to be too much description over things that weren't important, such as random, uneventful, day to day happenings, when there was such important information still lacking.

I have to say though, that this book has gotten a lot of high ratings, from reviews on multiple sites.  Obviously people are loving, it.  It just wasn't for me.
  
*I received this book from Blogging for Books, in exchange for this review.  All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you were honest in your review. Some people try to sugar coat it. I wonder if you'd like it more if you'd read the first 2 books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I wonder if you'd read the first two if you'd like it better. It's weird they sent it without those! Love this Blogging for Books thing. Once things slow down, maybe I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete