Tuesday, February 24, 2015

First calf of the year

A couple weeks ago, I posted about the cows getting close to calving.  Well, the next day this cow had her baby.  I tried to sneak out to take his picture but, I didn't want to worry the Mama, so I stayed back and just zoomed in.  She still didn't really want me there.  She moved around the tree and was looking at me, so I took a couple of quick pictures and left.  
I wanted to get back out and take a better picture since you couldn't really see him very well, snuggled up in all the hay, but it's been raining, and then I was out of town.  So yesterday I finally made it back out and got his picture.  He's already almost 2 weeks old... but still so cute!  Mom uses ear tags instead of branding, in case you are wondering why he has this on his ear.
I can't wait for the rest of calves to arrive.  It's so cute when all the babies run around and play together.

The sun has been out the last few days, and it has felt so good to get out and walk around.  I have to keep reminding myself that it's still February and that it could snow anytime.  I know that the Mountains probably need to get a lot more snow, so they won't be too dry this summer.  But it feels like Spring right now, and I'm completely over winter. 

My parents have been out harrowing the fields and pastures the last few days, and I just love how the fields look afterwards.

This little guy is just turning 3 so he'll be able to get more training in this year.  His name is Jango.  He is Ruby's baby and has been one of my favorites since he was born.  He followed me all over the pasture yesterday while I took pictures.  


Even though I know it isn't Spring yet... these nice days are giving me a boost, knowing that Spring isn't too far away.  I'm getting more anxious to get my Spring cleaning started.  Once the nice weather is fully upon us, I don't want to be inside more than I have to.   Anyone else getting excited for Spring?

I hope you all are having a great week so far! 

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! the calf is so adorable! i miss living on a farm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I just love little calves. We ALMOST saw one birthed at my parents ranch but the baby wasn't quite ready to come out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! And that pony is so gorgeous. Love spring for baby animal time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ready for spring here as well! :) Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete